Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Turkey for me, Turkey for you!

Thanksgiving was the usual yummy food at Aunt Edie's. We browsed our newspapers getting ready for shopping and played our usual games. Shelley and I are still getting accused of practicing Taboo even though we haven't played since last Thanksgiving. We are good ...what can we say.

The kids watched The Polar Express and played with the cats and dog. I was having my usual asthma attacks. Oh well. I finally recovered from it after Shelley, Mom and Roger whacked my back for an hour Saturday.

Thursday night I got to bed around 11pm and ended up waking up at 12:30am. I finally got out of bed at 1:15am to get ready to go shopping. There really isn't anything like the thrill of shopping the day after Thanksgiving. It is more exciting to me than actual Christmas day. The anticipation of what you might get and what you may not be able to get. It is very exhilerating. We got to Best Buy around 2:15 am. (The first people in line were there at 10pm the night before.) In our snowpants, several layers and wrapped in a blanket, we stood for 3 hours. About 3am, the Best Buy "Geeks" walked in...they were all together in a big group sort of in a Revenge of the Nerds style..I think they were scared. We made a new friend. A fellow hockey parent. He did give us some advice about different rinks. He asked us why we were not alternating going to the car, and we said that we wanted to be together. It was the "experience." Then, after the tickets came out and we were guaranteed our items, we each took a turn warming up in the car...which we were reminded by our friend could ruin our "experience." It didn't.

We were told that anyone purchasing a computer would have a cart and would not have to get one....so...we went around and got our items and waited in line at the cameras for an hour. Then, went to get the computers and NO CART. They were out. So, they wheeled our computers and other stuff into the line (the 2 hour line) and said..."scoot it with your foot." So, for about half hour...we pushed and scooted. Then, I went outside to try to find a cart. I found the motherload....a flatbed! Yeah! The longer we waited...the hotter it got as we were dressed in 3 layers plus a snowsuit. So, off came the layers. The workers were like, "Look at this." as they were pointing at us. But, we really didn't care. We didn't get out of Best Buy until 8:20am. Crazy.

We were way behind in shopping because we were there so long....last year we got in at 6am and were out by 6:30 and into the next store. Needless to say, we were starving, had to eat and get some serious coffee. It was also a struggle to find room in my little car to get all of our stuff in there. We had to rearrange several times.

We got home around 2:30pm and I got packed to go to NY with Justin. We rode the ferry in Grand Isle and stayed in Plattsburgh at the Holiday Inn. I joined the Rewards Club and I did get a free beer, which I never got to take advantage of. We had to leave early Saturday, so I also missed my free breakfast. Basicly, the Rewards Club was not very rewarding.

Justin had hockey in Chazy, NY at 8am....that rink puts "the ice box" in Highgate to shame. It is sooooo cold. It is cement around the edges and then some sort of plastic on the eaves to the roof. It's not officially enclosed. It was colder inside than it was outside ...and it was only in the 30's outside. I have to say, they had a "warm room" with a snack bar, but if you wanted to watch the game you had to stand on the outskirts of the rink because there were also no seats. It was just all bad.

Next, we were off to Hartford, VT. We drove across the whole state. We got to Marina's game just in time! At least there was heat at that rink...even though the rink was also very cold when you weren't directly under a heater.

What a day! Once we got to Mom's I was still asthmatic and the beatings began. I think they finally got me breathing after all that.

Sunday, was hockey in Waterbury, and relaxation. We did not do much Sunday. Thank goodness.

No comments: