Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A lesson in flexibility

I am feeling a bit panicky about Christmas creeping up on me. All of a sudden, it is Christmas week and I do not feel ready. I think part of the problem is that I have wrapped up a good portion of my gifts and the pile looks very small. Yet, my wallet is empty. So, I don't really know when I will find time to finish up shopping and also get the house cleaned. I have had no time to clean and the house is a disaster. It is unbearable. And I am sure there will be an influx of toys coming into the house next week!

Friday night Justin played at Gutterson again. The game was pretty bad and they lost big time against Burlington. We had hockey on Saturday and then there was gymnastics. Mirabel is doing great in gymnastics but complains that it is boring. She really should do hockey...that would keep her busy. But, I guess she isn't big on the skating part of it. Oh well. I think she would be great. She would be hyper like some of the St. A. girls....I am pretty sure of it.

Sunday Justin scored for the second time in his hockey career. At Highgate again. He was skating in front of the net and Jackson fed him the puck and he put it right in. The line was on fire. Jackson was left, Justin was right and Ian was center. All three of them scored. Then, Ian scored on an empty net at the end of the game when the other team had pulled their goalie. "Well, Mom...the only reason we won was because the other team sucked." I was very tired after leaving the house at 4:45 am to be in Highgate by 6am. We were the first ones there and the doors weren't even unlocked yet. But, we made it on time...which is more than I can say for one kid who decided to join the game in the middle of the first period. The rest of the day was sleeping time.

I went to Mom's Sunday night to drill press the blocks for my Smilie project this week. We made little name trains with wooden letter blocks and Melissa and I spent all day Monday screwing hooks and eyes into wood. Our hands are all cracked and red from doing that. The project was great, but I bought a few wheels that were too small for the dowels and had to revert to plan B. We glued the wheels onto the front of the train body instead of putting them on the dowel. Very disappointing for me. My prototype had been so perfect...but I screwed it up. Oh well....there is always next time. The project went over and the kids missed reading groups. So, now they will probably lose all their skills and be behind for the rest of their lives!!!!!! I told Lil that volunteering at the school has certainly been a lesson in flexibility for me. Of course, it has also been a source of great exhaustion. I have two weeks off. Then, I will try to plan some things that are a bit less work...for me.

No comments: