Thursday, December 22, 2005

Fah who for-aze! Dah who dor-aze! Welcome, welcome Christmas. Welcome Christmas Day.

Well, since I am now officially off work until after Christmas and I feel the need to find some Christmas cheer...and "singing loud for all to hear..." ain't gonna happen....I have taken inspiration from Jill to think about Christmas in years past and drum up some Christmas spirit for myself.

My favorite memories of Christmas

Playing "Jaws" with Shelley and having the tree fall over on us. That definately added an element of surprise to an already nerve-wracking game.

Seeing Rudolph up on the road in the trailer park. That was magical!

Waking up at about 3am and laying in the bunk beds talking about what could be under the tree. Then, sneaking out into the living room in the dark and taking a quick peek and running back into the bedroom and telling Shelley what she got. Then running back out to get another peek....this went on all night long. We weren't allowed to get up before 6.

Taking turns putting on the yellow plastic star.

The plastic, santa sleigh with reindeer we put out every year.

The gingerbread house ornament I made in first grade.

My bear stocking that has a big black mark on the toe. (maybe from the coal) Oranges, apples, nuts and candy in the stocking.


Always wearing the outfit Aunt Edie got us on Christmas day.

Cabbage Patch kids...even after all these years and all the love and attention they got, they still smell good.

And the year Aunt Mary and the kids came for Christmas and the excitement on Kristyne's face when she got a cabbage patch kid.

Getting a hand written note from Santa saying he dropped my Barbie doll in the snow outside my grandparent's house.

The money from Grandpa that we always saved for last that was hidden in the tree. And, Gramp always handed out the gifts sitting on the ottoman.

The creative ways Mom would give Grandpa his money....especially the money between two slices of bread.

The year I was so upset that I got luggage for Christmas...and Shelley got a boom box which is what I asked for.

Chex Mix on Christmas Eve. I finally got in on it. I guess Aunt Edie thought I didn't like it and for years everyone else got a giant zip-lock bag chuck full and I got none.

Uncle Roy's lasagna and salad on Christmas Eve. Oh my, I can't wait!

I went to the Santa at Gaynes and asked for my own room...He didn't know what to say.

All the Christmas specials...Rudolph, Frosty, Charlie Brown and The Grinch. Now, I love Elf and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation also.

Buying Grandma a carton of cigarettes as her main gift.

Going to Aunt Winnie's Christmas night after our own festivities. I loved to spend time with my cousins.

Waiting at least a day to decorate the tree because the branches have to 'fall' and now cutting a live tree so we don't have to wait.

Dad and Uncle Roy holding the trash bags for the paper at Grandma's while eating peanuts.

Uncle Roy's box of socks.

Peanut butter fudge.

Mom going to Kmart after our Christmas Eve celebration to finish shopping because they were open until 10pm.

Taking Justin to the Polar Express in Burlington with all the elves..hundreds and they were yelling, "Justin, so glad you could make it"....he was thrilled...it was amazing.

I was so upset when I got a savings bond for Christmas at Kinney's after years of getting cash....I felt like Clark on National Lampoon's Christmas!

Trying to make Christmas for my kids as wonderful as mine was when I was young.

Making ornaments out of rose petals with a glue gun and ribbon with Mom. That was a beautiful tree. We even got rid of the plastic yellow star and sprung for an Angel.

The monopoly game I got from Grandma Fleming. I remember opening it and exactly how the tree and the house were set up that year. Odd.

When the UPS guys came with my present...a computer ...when Felix wasn't here and said..."Do you know about this?" and I didn't and they felt bad. But, I was excited.

The almost burnt scalloped potatoes every year.

Our advent calendar.

How Uncle Roy knows every gift he gets without opening it.

Tomorrow is Christmas Eve and Marina will be in the choir for the mass. I need to leave early because last year we drove 50 minutes and missed the whole darn thing. I am going to see it this year if it kills me. We will go to Aunt Edie's for the annual Lasagna and salad dinner and gift exchange with Aunt Edie and Uncle Roy. Then, it's back home to get to bed early...last year, Justin ran to his bed right when we got home. Let's hope this year will be the same. Merry Christmas!

No comments: